is a city of about 18,000 located in the Siracusa province nearby
a peak with splendid views of the Catania plain and Etna volcano.
It was founded in 1551 by Vice-King Giovanni de Vega as to accommodate
refugees from Lentini. Its name commemorates both that event and
the Emperor Charles V. Following the catastrophic earthquake in
1693, there was recorded a remarkable migration from neighboring
cities and villages, went destroyed.
of the town’s buildings are worth a visit. The Chiesa Madre
dedicated to the Immaculate has an elegant interior divided into
nave and aisles.
the city surroundings are interesting sites such as the archaeologic
excavations of Leontinoi and the Casa dello Scirocco, a 1700’s
house in the Piscitello district, set inside a prehistoric grotto,
so-called since it protects against Sirocco’s oppressive heat.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in