DI CAPO PASSERO
di Capo Passero is a town of about 3,200 inhabitants located in
the Siracusa province. It gained administrative autonomy in 1975,
up to then being a division of neighboring
Pachino. The town began to develop in the early 19th century. It
earned its place in history for having been the landing point for
Anglo-American troops on 10 July 1943. Farming and fishing are the
town’s main industries; tourism has also been growing remarkably
in the last decades much relying on the cultural and naturalistic
riches of the area.
1800’s Chiesa di San Gaetano is the most attractive building.
The shore is endowed with beautiful sand beaches; in the main one
relics from a 3rd century BC necropolis and an ancient harbor structure
were unearthed. Relics from kilns and Paleo-christian necropolises
were discovered at the Manniri district.
short way offshore lies the Island of Capo Passero with its luxuriant
and rare vegetation and wildlife, landmarked by a 1600’s tower
– built at Charles V’s behest to defend the coast –
and a lighthouse. Nor far from town is the Capo delle Correnti,
the southernmost headland of Sicily, that stretches off to the Isola
coast north of the town offers other attractions, notably the Tonnara
(tuna-fishery), the ruins of the Torre Fano and the Grotta Calafarina
boasting a historical-archaeological value as it was inhabited from
the Neolithic to the Bronze age.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in