is a town of nearly 9,200 located in the Siracusa province at some
430m asl. Its history is closely related to the neighboring Pantalica
(see PANTALICA). The earliest records go back to the 14th century;
it was successively possessed by the Moncadas, the Eredias and the
Gaetanis. It grew to town size in the low Middle Ages but it was
heavily damaged by an earthquake in 1693 that forced survivors to
settle elsewhere, near a mount called Cugno di Rizzo.
it is laid out on a rectilinear grid plan with two main axis that
meet in the octagonal Piazza dei Quattro Canti. The urban plan reveals
some Arab features.
tour of the town can begin in the city’s main building, the
Chiesa Madre dedicated to St. John the Evangelist. This has a fine
baroque façade on three storeys, with a Latin-Cross interior
and three naves. It contains many interesting works of art: frescoes
in the vault and the apse are by Giuseppe Crestadoro, as well as
the paintings depicting San Giovanni Evangelista and the Vergine
e San Gaetano; a painting depicting the Deposizione is by Palermo
artist Vito D’Anna; finally, a baptismal font and a 1700’s
organ are also worth-seeing.
1700’s Chiesa di Sant’Antonio Abate has three fine doorways
and a simple interior with one nave; the vault is frescoed by Giuseppe
Crestadoro; the 1700’s Chiesa dell’Annunziata is preceded
by a fine staricase; its façade is rather simple with an
imposing portal and columns. Inside, is a single nave ornamented
with 1700’s frescoes by Crestadoro and an altarpiece representing
the Annunciation of the Virgin by unknown in the 16th century. Adjacent
to this, is the Chiesa del Purgatorio, with an octogonal dome, a
single nave and a semicircular chancel.
tour then stops at the Chiesa di San Sebastiano completed in the
early-1700s. This also boasts works by Crestodoro as a 1700’s
frescoed Martyrdom and Judgement of Saint Sebastian, and a 1700’s
statue of the saint. The Church dedicated to the Nativity of Mary
is a baroque building standing next to the Monastero di Montevergini.
The church interior has a single nave ornamented with fine works
including frescoes by Sebastiano Lo Monaco. The floor is made of
majolica tiles and is portrayed with a La Pesca Miracolosa.
minor churches include the three-naves Chiesa di Santa Sofia –
with a statue of the Christ at the Column and a 1700’s Santa
Sofia –, the single-nave Chiesa di San Pietro and the Chiesa
dei Cappuccini housing a library holding precious 1500’s and
the town vicinity, between the Cava Grande and Anapo valley, stands
Pantalica, a site that testifies to the presence of remote settlements,
notably related to Hybla, a city from the 13th century BC.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in