is a city of nearly 20,000 standing at 111m asl in the province
of Siracusa. It began life as a hamlet in the early-1600s in the
feudal dominion of the Duke Floridia Lucio Bonanno Colonna. Later,
it became an administrative division of the neighboring Siracusa
and gained city status in the early-1800s.
major buildings in town are the 1700’s Chiesa Madre, with
a fine baroque façade complete with a 1800’s three-sided
clock, the 1700’s Chiesa di Sant’Anna, the 1700’s
Chiesa del Carmine and the Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie with,
on the coat-of-arms in the main doorway, an incision claiming that
the church was built by the Spanish to commemorate their victory
over Austrians in the early-18th century.
the city surroundings are sites of naturalistic interest such as
the Cava di Spampinato or Culatrello, hewn by the erosion of creeks.
The site claims a historical value too, as it was here that Athenians
sought a shelter from Syracusans in 413 BC and were furtherly crushingly
defeated nearby the Assinaros river. The Villa-Museum in the Cozzu
zu Cola district, displays working tools and objects related to
the peasant’s daily life.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in