is a small town of the Siracusa province standing at 550m asl, nearby
the Santo Stefano mount and the Anapo valley. It counts just over
1,000 inhabitants. The oil output represents a major income and
the main industry of Cassaro.
abandoned at the time of the Sikels, the earliest settlement in
the site of today’s Cassaro developed in the 12th century
around a fortification. The town’s castle, of which very little
remains today, was probably built by the Arabs. Between the 16th
and 18th century, it first became a Barony, then the Princedom of
noble Gaetani family. The successive lords of the town were the
Statellas. The town was heavily damaged by the 1693 earthquake,
the works of reconstruction lasted many years.
most attractive buildings include the 1600’s, then restructured,
Chiesa Madre, dedicated to St. Peter, and the Chiesa di S. Antonio
Abate, with a doorway flanked by niches containing the statues of
Sant’Antonio Abate and the Madonna col Bambino and a painting
of the titular saint.
Porto Palo di Capo Passero
Eremo San Corrado
Laghetti Di Avola
Marina Di Avola
Marina Di Noto
Scivoletto e Michelin Italia. Le foto sono di proprietà
dei rispettivi autori. Ogni riproduzione non autorizzata verrà
perseguita a norma di legge.
- buy on line
Guide of Sicily
italiano | in